Tuesday, September 2, 2008

World Moving Services/National Relocation Services -- SCAM Company

This is an old blog, 2 years old.. but I feel it's my duty to pass on when I find out a major scam.. and so I thought I'd repost this in case any of you come across this company, here is the original blog:

World Moving Services=SCAM
So we hired this moving company we found online (red flag) but it looked reputable and blah blah. We were talking to 3 companies, about price, and the dates. We HAD to be out of that house on the 31st, and preferred a 1-2 days for cleaning after they packed our stuff up. Steven (The supervisor--who never answered my call again from this day forward) guaranteed me I would be picked up by May 30th at the LATEST. That's the only way I would pay the deposit, is if they GUARANTEE it-- he said they do. That works. So I had to pay a deposit. Around May 24th I get a call, that someone will call me by that Friday to let me know the exact date of our move. Friday comes, no call. So we call them, no answer. Weekend passes, no call. Monday comes, no call. It is now the 31st (Tuesday) and we are PAST our moving dates, our lease is up that day and still can't get a hold of anyone. I freak out, call all over trying to find a last minute moving company. Look into renting U-Hauls and hired labor to move the crap. No luck. Finally moving company calls, they are CONTRACTORS. But their contract is basically.. we call and let a real moving company you want to move, and the time frame you want to move, and if they can't do it, tough shit, and they don't follow up. So after hours calling around, and yelling at people.. finally get the driver's number. He's in Arizona. So he says he's too tired to come to New Mexico to move us. We ask if he realizes he's already a day late from the latest date they were to come, and we HAVE to be out of there. He says sorry. So we call the homeowner, who has plans to renovate and move in the house that very next day, and he's pissed. We will have to pay to put his family up in hotel, and any inconvenience. So we have an idea.. we offer the driver 500 dollars cash, to get his ass down there that night and load up our stuff. Of course he makes it. I'm fuming because this company ripped us off. So he gets there at 1am (June 1). Packs the house up, takes the 500, and goes on. We had to leave at 1am, after being up almost 20 hours and drive 20+ hours to Alabama. The move costs a couple thousand dollars, and he calls and tells us when he arrives, we have to pay him CASH. That is really shady. So we've been calling the company for days trying to find out why he only wants cash. Is he ripping someone off, etc. We had a cashier's check for him, and their contract says they take it. But he said no. HMMM. So anyway, in short (I've left out tons of details of the nightmare) World Moving Services is a rip-off scam company. We ended up paying them 1k to literally do NOTHING. They aren't even the movers, they don't even set up your dates, they don't guarantee dates, they don't get answers for you, they don't do jack shit. They just take your money and say tough luck. I found out now better ways of finding reputable companies. Internet is not one of those ways. Live and learn. Now we hope our mover shows up eventually with our stuff. World Moving Services also goes by National Relocation Services.

I reported them to the BBB and the guy who actually moved us called me and said that $500 I gave him (to bribe him to come do his job) was a TIP. Yes, I always tip people who are ripping me off, who are late, in advance of the job, a gross amount of money. Don't you?

Also, WMS/NRS said they do not 'imply or guarantee dates' in fine print on the back of the contract-- which you receive after paying the deposit. Now, it's word of mouth unfortunately but Steven the supervisor GUARANTEED me the dates, otherwise I'd have told him no thanks (I'm sure they knew that). But in WRITING, the dates May 28-30 were ON THE CONTRACT. In the very least, that is IMPLIED.
Seriously, please do yourself a favor and run far far away from them. After this whole ordeal I found out plenty of people are scammed by them, people who worked for them also report them as scams.. ripoff.com I believe is the website, where people report a lot of bad stuff on this company.

---Also, this blog was written before they brought everything. It ends up, even though the contract specifically says-- take down AND SET UP... they would not reassemble our furniture that they took apart, and when I asked why he said they don't want to mess it up.. Lovely, right?
And, the cost ended up being nearly 2x the original quote-- which they didn't explain how. They certainly made a killing on me.

Hope this helped save someone's day, someday. I wish I'd heard this first! :o)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fell on your post about WORLD MOVING SERVICE , Fort Lauderdake, FL.
You wouldn't believe what happened.
I wondered why WORLD MOVING SERVICES delayed so long.

My move was from Houston, TX to Salt LakeCity, UT.
I believe it was on purpose. I read that there are over 200 complaints against them with the BBB. The charges are they delay moving until you cant switch companies, and then add extra charges, and either won't release your belongings or wont help you, until you pay up front. A bunch of bogus stuff is hidden in the fine print. They also lied to me and claimed they had an office in Houston. They are based only in Florida. The actual account manager, wont return my calls.

They wanted $845, deposit on credit and the balance in a certified money order. This way you cant get your money back easily.

I contacted tmy Credit Card company and will call the Texas or Florida Attorney General or both.

I am going to move everything into storage and come up to SLC with just clothes, buy a cheap mattress somewhere, and have the movers ship my stuff later.

Greg
Bograde@yahoo.com